Trash Removal / Waste Management
WASTE MANAGEMENT WEEKLY REFUSE PROGRAM
Attention Genoa Residents:
The Village of Genoa recently signed a new 3-year contract with Waste Management for garbage pickup. This new contract includes some significant changes in an effort to keep GARBAGE RATES as LOW as possible.
Beginning April 1st, 2020 Waste Management will no longer be collecting curb side RECYCLING. Residents who have recycling bins may either keep them for their personal use, (free of charge) or return them to the Administration Office.
All residents will be provided a 96-gallon TOTE, (at no extra cost) and all garbage pickup will be curbside (only) on public streets the day of collection.
Garbage that is placed outside of the tote, or in the alley will no longer be collected. This is due to Waste Management’s new next generation trucks with auto pick-up. These trucks unfortunately are not designed to collect garbage that is placed on top of or alongside of the totes, and these trucks are also too large to maneuver in the alleys.
Residents are allowed one Bulk Item per month that will be collected on a specific scheduled day.
Each resident will soon be receiving a tote and an informational flyer from Waste Management. This flyer will review all of the changes mentioned above.
All future questions and concerns relating to your garbage pick-up should now be directed to Waste Management. You may contact them at the number listed in the flyer that will be provided, so please place the flyer in a convenient location.
We Thank you in advance for your help in making this transition.
- When garbage pick up falls on a Waste Management observed holiday, refuse/solid waste and recyclables will be picked up the following day. The Waste Management holidays are as follows:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
All other federally observed holidays that fall on pick up day will not change the normal pick up schedule.
- Monthly Bulk Collection is available and subject to the following:Residents are allowed only ONE bulk item per month from the items below.
- All appliances with doors (stove(s), microwave(s), toaster oven(s) etc.) must have doors removed before curbside placement.
- Living room chair(s), table(s), kitchen chairs (6 kitchen chairs are considered ONE bulk item)
- Sofa(s), love seat(s), mattress(es), box spring(s)
- Carpeting – rolls not to exceed 2’-0” in diameter and 4’-0” in length (6 rolls are considered ONE bulk item
- Swing sets must be dismantled before curbside placement
- Refrigerator(s), Freezer(s), Air conditioner(s), Dehumidifier(s), all appliances with Freon will need to have Freon removed prior to pick-up.
please call: 1-800-343-6047
- If the resident has the Freon removed; is certified; and the appliance is labeled as such, it will be picked- up.
- If the resident has not had the Freon removed, prior to pick up, resident will be charged by Waste Management, $45.00.
- Approved containers may consist of the following:
- Only the Waste Management provided 96 gal. Refuse Cart.
- Materials that are NOT considered refuse and rubbish and will NOT be collected are:
- Any dead animals
- Hot ashes or burning embers, sewage or body waste, tree stumps, sod, rocks or large stones
- Building and/or demolition materials, flammable liquids, hazardous materials, dirt, paint and poisonous or explosive substances, or any matter or substance other than garbage
- No major automobile components will be collected including engines, batteries, blocks, fenders, parts of automobile bodies and used oil
- Village residents may dispose of yard waste at the Village Yard Waste Dump on 4th Street in Genoa, between the hours of 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. from April till November. An electronic gate access card is required and can be obtained at the Administration Office. All access card require activation for a fee of $30.00 EACH year. Should you lose your card at any time an additional fee of $15.00 will be required to replace it, this fee covers the cost of purchasing new cards.